In Medak District , DDS- APCIDD observed GM Opposition
Day on April 10th in front of ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh denouncing
ICRISAT for its corporate backed pro- GM research agenda and submitted
a of memorandum to the Director General, ICRISAT and demanded to:
- Move away from GE and move back to basics. Work with farmers and
start building on the foundations of their science once again.
- Get out of the unholy alliance with the biotech industry which
has very little to do with Life and everything to do with Death. Death
of the environment, death of the poor and death of food sovereignty
- Stop renting out your facilities which was donated to you by the
internatonal community to the biotech industry. This is a total breach
- Bring back biodiversity and NPM on to your agenda. We hope these
terms, biodiversity and NPM ring a bell in you. Can you retrace this
path from where you strayed away and redeem yourself as a public research
- Start repatriating the genetic wealth you have amassed from the
farmers of Asia and Africa. Farmers have the right over it but are
unable to access it from you whereas the biotech industry which is
accessing it from you do it as biopirates
Later in the day, the farmers also marched on to the office of the
head of Medak District and demanded to:
- Ban genetic engineering from agriculture from the Medak District.
All over the dryland belts of the Deccan genetic engineering as seen
in the cultivation of Bt cotton, has proved a disaster for smagll
and marginal farmers resulting in thousands of suicides. Besides it
has also started toxifying our soils and killing the livestock.
- Genetic engineering in agriculture is the surest way of depriving
farmers their control over agriculture and handing it over to large
- As the custodian of the farming communities in Medak, where small
and marginal farmers constitute nearly 70% of the population, it becomes
your duty to do everything to save their life, honour and dignity.
One of the ways of achieving this is to stop institutions such as
ICRISAT and the state agricultural research institutions from engaging
in genetic engineering.
- Instead, promote ecological farming which is the surest answer
to the horrifying water wars and the climate change that looms threateningly
on our horizon.
- Expand the state support to food farmers, particularly in the rainfed
farming systems thereby reducing the stress on natural resources.
This can be done by promoting dryland crops such as sorghum, millets
and pulses which still form the finest mosaic of biodiversity on the
farms of Medak District.
The day was concluded with a Media Meet at Sangareddy, Medak District.
AP Coalition in Defence of Diversity (APCIDD) partners from Adilabad,
Anatapur, East Godavari, Kurnool, Khammam, Nalgonda, Nellore, Karimnagar,
Nizamabad, Prakasam, Srikakulam, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, Warangal
& West Godavari districts also observed GM Opposition day in their
Click for the memorandum
submitted to Director General, ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh
Click for the memorandum
submitted to District Collector, Medak District, Andhra Pradesh
Protests in Karnataka